Friday, February 25, 2011

Bee Blanket The Great

When I was three I was going through a drowning phase. I imagined the house would fill up with water and me, unable to swim, would drown. At night I was the most scared, but I'd get about an hour of sleep in, and in that time I'd dream I would fly.And then I'd wake up. I'd run around the room, checking to see if there was any water. And then I'd find it.

I'd treat the water bottle like a god, hoping it wouldn't unleash it's drowning power upon me. I'd gently take it out.



My mom couldn't take it anymore. Every morning she'd trip over the water bottle, put it back in my room. Trip over the water bottle, put it back in my room. She finally called my sister's school and asked if I could just wander around the school for a day, maybe that would energize my dreams. So I packed up my baby blanket and my baby bottle and while the whole school was sitting on the floor and the principal was saying the pledge of allegiance with them, I'd stand, right next to the Principal, watching everybody stare at me. I was completely unfazed. I loved the attention, and I felt safe with all these people watching me. I spotted Ana and waved at her. I felt safe and warm at night, remembering the people staring at me and keeping me safe. The drowning demon wouldn't dare attack when there were so many witnesses. The problem was, I was well rested and after I went to school for the morning I'd be so energetic because I was sleeping okay.

My mom couldn't win. She finally locked me up in a cage right after school and left me there the entire day with just a box of uncooked cous cous to eat.
Mom couldn't bear to see me like that, looking all pathetic and all.
So she took me out of the cage and took me to the grocery store.
Then we came to the baby aisle.
My mother bought me three pacifiers and two Sippy cups, the Sippy cups I especially loved because they had penguins on the side..
While I was occupied with my new toys my mom snuck off and brought back a surprise in a baggie. I kept that baggie later on because it held my best friend of all time in it, I still have it, and my best friend.
It was a Bee Blanket. One side was solid yellow and on the other side it was white, with thousands of bees crawling across the blanket, and 'bzzzzz's next to them.
And so began one of the strongest relationships of our generation.
--Jane

5 comments:

  1. What did I do with that cage? Hm... I know it's around here somewhere... (Jane, you are HILARIOUS. Made me seriously laugh out loud.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! I absolutely love the illustrations Jane, your mom gets taller and skinnier every time I see her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that. was. fabulous. love it!! great illos, please keep writing and drawing :).

    ReplyDelete